Monday, January 10, 2011

Quick Rising Home Made Flax Seed Pizza Dough


I got a whole wheat pizza dough recipe from a friend that was very easy to make, it finished rising within twenty minutes - but I did not like how it tasted. I am not a whole wheat pizza crust kind of girl. I do like the idea of something healthy in my pizza dough - so I altered the recipe. I like white pizza crusts, but adding flax to the dough I find enhances the flavor, and the nutrition. Here is the recipe....

Yields two 12 inch pizza crusts

2 1/2  cups All-purpose flour
1/2 cup ground flax
2 tbsp. flax seed
4 1/2 tsp. Quick rising yeast (or two envelopes)
1 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c hot tap water (I warm my water in a kettle)
4 tsp olive oil
4 tsp liquid honey
olive oil for top of dough

In a large bowl, combine flour, flax, seed, yeast and salt mix well.
Measure hot water into a measuring cup, then stir in olive oil and honey to dissolve. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon to form a ball. Add a bit of flour and knead for two minutes in the bowl to save cleaning the counter.

Ensure all dough bits are gathered up and then grease the dough with olive oil and flip over a couple times to grease the bowl. Cover. Let rise in a warm place until double the size - about 20 minutes.

When dough has risen, turn out onto a lightly floured surface, cut in half and roll each half into a circle or use hands to stretch dough into desired shape. Transfer dough to prepared pizza pans. Top with favorite toppings and bake in oven at 425 degrees F for about 15 minutes, or prick crust in several places with a fork and bake for 6 minutes. Remove crust from oven, top with desired toppings, and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for an easy pizza dough recipe. This just may be it. I love the new look to your blog. Keep on creating. Love you, Auntie Alice

    ReplyDelete