Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stencil a Wood Planter


My neighbor asked me if I wanted a couple of wood hanging baskets that she wanted to get rid of. Of course I obliged! I took off the hanging accessories as I wanted them for a herb garden on my outside stairs. I also decided to stencil them with butterflies and dragonflies.

I cut a couple of dragonflies from the Home Decor Cricut cartridge, size 4 and 2.
I cut a couple of butterflies from the same cartridge, size 5 and 2.
I use cardstock that I have oodles of for my stencil.


1. Clean planter. I really just dusted mine off - I wasn't too fussy.
2. I cut the images so the stencil would fit where I wanted it to. I applied spray adhesive to the stencil.
3. Using a sponge dauber, I applied black acrylic paint. Wait a couple minutes and carefully take off stencil.
4. I applied the smaller stencil using the same technique in step 2. I used a scrap piece of paper to cover the wood planter along the edges of the stencil so I could fill in the stencil with black paint without getting the paint on the wood where I didn't want it. 


Thanks for stopping by!
Linking up to....


lil luna link party button





Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!

9 comments:

  1. Cute!! Thanks so much for linking to Thrifty Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect spot for your herbs...love the addition of the dragonflies :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute! I love the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! Thank goodness for neighbors with no creativity, time or desire to be creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You came! Thank you so much for linking up this great stenciling post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :) I'm planning to do some stenciling soon myself.

    ReplyDelete